Pages

Friday

It Begins With a Twinge--- (Or a Fall From a Ladder)...

Recently I felt a familiar twinge in my hamstring. First I tried to deny it. Then I tried to ignore it, thinking it would just go away. Then  I tried to be more careful in my every-day movements and did some gentle stretching. But before I knew it that twinge in my hamstring had intruded on a sensitive area of my lower back.



Hmmmm ...Let's just say this compromised my comfort and my activity for a few days. All of this served as a reminder that I have not been doing the best to care for my physical well-being. I have remained active (golf, walking, etc) but have NOT been diligent. I was beginning to notice my mid-section had gotten a bit thicker in the last few months; maybe a little over indulging, (w-a-a-a-y too old to be pregnant --by the way)  so I was planning, or at least thinking about, getting back into a dedicated routine.

Oh Yes, then to make matters worse, I actually did have a fall from a ladder. That set me back again for a while and then I had just had enough!


 As I reached for a couple of my favorite Beachbody DVDs, beginning with a stretch routine and a core workout, to get myself started back on the right track; I came across this one I had not faced---I think I heard it call my name. It was another Beachbody program but this one is not well- known like P90x or Insanity. I don't think it has an infomercial. It is called Total Body Solution. What happened next was humbling. I took the assessment for all of the joints covered in the DVD and found my mobility to be less than I expected in all areas. True-- neck, shoulder, core, lower back, knees all less than ideal. In the DVD I heard the phrase I heard years ago in Kinesiology class: " A tight muscle is weak, and a weak muscle is tight". Yes, I was living proof of that. So this was my reminder that I have not been doing enough to care for my body. I have been working hard at enjoying life and being happy but not paying enough attention to what my body needs to stay active, fit, and pain free. If I want to continue to stay active and enjoy a life without imposing limits I need to work on muscular endurance, strength and flexibility. So back to doing what it takes. I will begin with the Total Body Solution. I will continue walking and golf. Soon I will add yoga, Zumba, some more favorite Beachbody workouts such as Turbo Fire, and Tai-Cheng, eventually more. Variety is good. Keeping the body guessing while it is improving strength, endurance, and flexibility is a bonus. 

The goal is to improve overall fitness and enjoy it.  The best attack is to make sure I am including cardio, weight resistance and flexibility training,  so this will cover it all. By the way -- the fall from the ladder was months ago. I re-injured a knee and was very limited in movement for a while. It could have been much worse but that was the beginning of the break from the fitness routine. Like Roseann-Rosanna-Danna used to say "It's always something".


Need a Total Body Solution?
Need your own reminder or wake-up call? 

With a little persistence and dedication you can continue to be
Healthy, Happy, by Choice!

For more information on BeachBody home fitness workouts go to www.beachbodycoach.com/nanciedwards


No comments:

Post a Comment