Pages

Sunday

A Kind Reflection

Life is truly a reflection of what we allow ourselves to see.
(Trudy Symeonakis Vesotsky)

In a recent group exercise class at the gym I had an "ah-ha!" moment. It was during a mindfulness exercise. More about this class in another post but the class is called Flexibility, Mindfulness, and Gratitude. This class has become much more valuable than I realized.




As we were ending the class and were in a final relaxation pose, our instructor called on us to visualize our
reflection in the mirror. Then we were instructed to greet our reflection with a genuine, warm smile. I actually felt the corners of my mouth turn up into a very slight smile.

I realized looking into a mirror is actually the only time I don't smile. I greet everyone I know, and often many people I don't, with a warm smile all day long. But when it comes to looking into a mirror, it's all business; the image I see looking back at me is standing there being scrutinized.

Typically when we are looking at our own reflection it is with a task at hand, i.e. brushing teeth, washing our face, or (for men- shaving) applying makeup.

I have said at my age a magnifying mirror is a blessing and a curse. We clearly see things we want to see --- and many things we don't. Magnified or not, when we are looking in the mirror we are focusing on our flaws, or trying to correct or emphasize our features with makeup. And do I need to mention what a horror a full-length mirror in the bathroom can be? (If you're over sixty, like I am, you know it)




Using this mirror image as a symbol of how we see ourselves, I think we are often not as kind to ourselves as we should be. We are very judgmental and unkind when we see our reflection.





For quite a while one of my favorite quotes has been:





I believe it is always important to be kind. In my mind I always emphasized the second part of that quote. Now I see both parts are equally important. I realize that it needs to start with our own reflection. Maybe it's like the oxygen mask that drops on an airline flight. It begins with you.

"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness"

(William Arthur Ward)

Try a warm smile when you look in the mirror, just try it. See what it does to your day. Then share your smile and spread kindness.



(What goes around comes around)

Choose Health and (share) Happiness!


**Just a little something to make YOU smile!**

                  #happiness#kindness#healthyattitude

No comments:

Post a Comment