Pages

Wednesday

Make it "A Heck of a Day"





Those who know me well know that I shed tears easily. There are times when my family watches me and just waits for the moment they know is coming; either during a movie, reading a card, witnessing someone else's happiness, or expressing my own sentiments. Okay, yes, I've been known to cry at dog food commercials or when someone wins something on the radio. At times it can be embarrassing. 
On the other hand I love to laugh and get others laughing as well. I am known for doing this sometimes at my own expense. Nothing feels better than sharing a laugh.

I have learned...
If something moves you to tears it is a good thing. It is good to feel, whether it brings back a memory or makes you sympathetic. To be touched, and be in touch with your emotions, is a benefit of being human, and moves your soul.

I believe...
Too often people tend to get caught up on negative thoughts. They forget how good it can feel to laugh. They don't take the time in their day to think about the things that are most important to themselves. They are too preoccupied or bombarded (especially with social media) with thoughts that belong to everyone else, and don't make the time or the space for their own thoughts. 

Remember, what you do every day matters more than what you do once-in-a-while, 
so how do you make it a "Heck of a Day"? 
I have many ideas. I am sharing here a speech that I hope you will never forget. 

The following video of an acceptance speech by "Jimmy V", Jimmy Valvano, is extremely touching. It has made an impact on me from the first time I saw it and almost emptied a whole box of tissues. I have watched it many times and still can't watch it without being driven to tears.

 I do these three things every day, but now I do them with awareness and purpose. I hope this clip has the same effect on you that it did on me, and that you remember the three things that are important to do every day. And then you do them.

What an incredible speech and tremendous man. How wonderful to have so much to give, and so much to live for, when time is short. 

Sadly, Jimmy Valvano barely lived a month after he presented this speech. 
The interview below provides more insight into his character and the strength and determination it took to make that passionate and inspirational speech.




Be Inspired.
Take care of your Health,
Be happy,
AND

Have a Heck of a Day!
(every day)

Cancer does not discriminate. Every one of us is touched almost daily with news of someone we know and love either struggling with or being taken by this horrible disease. Jimmy's words have left an impact for a lifetime and his soul lives through this wonderful foundation.

For information on the Jimmy V Foundation
 please click on the following link: 


No comments:

Post a Comment