Pages

Monday

Yoga Can Be Very Underrated

There are many benefits to Yoga

Yoga is an ancient practice but has gained much popularity in recent times. There are many reasons why.

If you asked me twenty or thirty years ago if I liked yoga, or was even interested in trying a class, I probably would have turned you down. For years I put yoga in the same category as golf. I thought it was meant for someone older, for someone who couldn't run or do aerobic exercise. I thought for any exercise to be truly beneficial you had to push your cardiovascular system to a maximum range and/or sweat like crazy.

Well I am proving myself wrong. As it turns out, there are many benefits from practicing yoga and you don't have to wait until you are old at all. As I have also said with golf, I wish I had started many years earlier. I tried yoga at home with a simple CD years ago but still didn't take it seriously. I realized the calming effecting but didn't really commit to it to notice any other benefits.

Yoga isn't for sissies...

I finally took yoga seriously when it became such a challenge. I committed to complete the full 90 days of the well-known Beachbody workout --P90X. Tony Horton, creator of P90X, is known for "bringing it"; challenging us to push ourselves. The 90 minute yoga session was a rotation in the program, not done every day, it was right there between all the other challenging workouts. With Tony Horton guiding me in my living room I never knew yoga could be so demanding. I was 57 and working hard.  Even though I had to make some modifications I was encouraged when I could see improvements so quickly.

Since then I have taken classes from wonderful instructors and have been enjoying the process and realizing the benefits. With some yoga routines on CD (my favorite go-to is the 30 min. yoga routine from the Beachbody 21-Day Fix) I have made yoga almost a daily addition to my health/fitness routine. Even if I choose another workout at the gym, I can still make time to supplement with yoga at home. 


So many improvements can be made in your health when you choose to practice yoga.


Harvard Health illustrates a few of the benefits of Yoga

Although many health benefits can be obvious, there are more and more being proven through research. Some benefits are described above. Improvements to your general health and well-being can include:
  • Strength --Through its design yoga uses every muscle in the body, through yoga poses and active movement. Strength is improved through isometric contractions, flowing sequences, and supporting body weight. Although muscles are strengthened, relief of muscular tension can also be achieved.
  • Flexibility--No surprise here. Flexibility is improved in yoga, particularly in the lower back, hamstrings, and shoulders. (more on flexibility in a future post)
  • Balance--Balance is an important component of yoga. Improving balance is helpful to both active athletes and people as they age (to prevent injuries from falls)
  • Improved Breathing--focusing on slower, deeper breathing not only supplies rich, oxygenated blood to the muscles, it increases lung capacity.
  • Weight Management--studies show those who practice yoga regularly have a better chance of maintaining a healthy weight. Yoga promotes a positive self-image, mindful eating, and focusing on the body as a whole.
  • Lowers Risk of Heart Disease--Lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and lower blood sugar. Research at the University of Pennsylvania found yoga to be a greater influence on lowering blood pressure than a walking/nutrition/weight counseling program. Circulation is also improved affecting cardiovascular function in a positive way.
  • Stress Relief--Does the word "Zen" come to mind? Yoga is well known for relieving stress. Through focusing on the breath and sometimes including meditation, anxiety and depression can be reduced as well as levels of cortisol (the stress hormone). Most often a yoga class concludes with a relaxation pose--it may be the only time in the day one really provides themselves a chance to relax.
  • Stronger Bones--Weight bearing exercise is known to strengthen bones. The exercise does not have to be particularly strenuous but yoga is a form of weight bearing exercise so has been shown to promote stronger bones.
  • Pain Relief--Through creating proper alignment and stimulating muscle balance in your body, yoga has shown to relieve pain in chronic conditions such as arthritis and especially back and neck pain. Studies found even pain related to Cancer, MS, and Auto-Immune diseases can be minimized.
  • Boost Immunity--With viruses and bacteria living inside our body weighting for a chance to strike, it is important to strengthen our immune system. Reducing stress helps lower the hormones that compromise our immune system. In addition to that, yoga conditions the lungs and respiratory tract which stimulates the lymphatic system to rid the body of toxins. Other physiological systems linked to immunity i.e. the circulatory, digestive, nervous, and endocrine systems are all stimulated in various yoga poses and play a role in the body's immunity.
  • Improved Sexual function--Just one more bonus. Possibly from being more in tune with one's body, more comfortable with body image. Yoga practice also increases circulation, which includes better blood flow to all body parts.
Infographic by Jan Diehm for Huffington Post

I have often made comparisons between yoga and golf. One thing they have in common is that you can be any age, size, or shape to begin. I believe one difference is that there is a much greater learning curve with golf, there is also practice separate from play. Another difference is; even after you know how to play golf you have to carve out enough time in your day, you can't just play in an hour. Yoga is something you can do without investing in any equipment and more easily make time for in your day (hmm...no excuses).

 Yoga connects your body and mind in a way few activities do. I realized this in my first experience in a yoga class, I found my eyes welled up with tears (I was still a grieving widow at the time, although didn't realize how much I was grieving, doing something good for myself). I was surprised at the emotion that came to the surface from a soothing yoga practice.

Today I am enjoying the benefits of yoga. I have seen improvements in my back issues, strength, and flexibility. I really feel like yoga every day is a good thing.


How often have you seen a picture or video of someone in their 80s or even 90s doing yoga? What vitality and youth they display!

With all the benefits you can see above, you can probably find a few that would make your life better too. Why not feel better and look better?

Recommendations:


If you have never tried yoga but have been curious, what's stopping you? Are you intimidated or feel like you need to get in shape first?
That should not be an issue. There are many different types of yoga to choose from, some more challenging than others. Check the sources below for more information.

There are many home programs on CD or online that can help you get started but if you have no prior knowledge you may be missing out on proper form with nobody there to help you make adjustments.


A good instructor should be able to help you with proper alignment and to modify movements until you build up your strength and flexibility as you progress.


Ask friends you know who have attended a class, check your local area for free classes or check some of the sources below for ideas.


*Yoga Alliance (link listed below) has a directory of certified Yoga Instructors. It is a good source to search for teachers in your area. Remember, like looking for a new puppy, not every instructor is a perfect fit. You may need to try more than one before you find one that suits your personal style and makes you feel comfortable.


Local Long Beach instructors 

I highly recommend:                                      


Choose to be Healthy and Happy!

Give Yoga a try!

~~Namaste~~


Sources: 
www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/yoga-directory           
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/
http://www.yogaalliance.org
www.yogajournal.com
www.prevention.com

                   #fitnesswithyoga#mindbody#weightlosswithyoga#yogaforhealth

No comments:

Post a Comment