Pages

Friday

"Everybody's Got Something" -- Part I

Full Health Disclosure


Since the topic of this blog is Health and Happiness, and my mission is to inspire you to make choices that improve or maintain your health (and create happiness), it's time for me to come clean.

By that I mean, I have finally after much denial, come to the conclusion that rarely (if ever) can someone make it to their sixties without some ailment or disfunction in at least one joint or body part. I hate to admit that includes me. Remember, I said after much denial.



On any given day, only if asked, I could give you a list of aches and pains or mechanical issues from the neck down. Those who know me well would probably argue that I could use a tuneup above the neck as well.

Who's to say if what I am facing now is a result of activities I participated in over time, what I did to myself long ago, or I can just chalk it all up to my genetic structure? I certainly don't want to blame it all on age, but I guess the mileage on some parts have easily passed the warranty period.

So the positive here is that even though an active lifestyle may have led to aches and pains in many joints, I would rather have those aches than the issues such as debilitating or life-threatening illness I may be facing if I had chosen to be more sedentary.When I consider how a healthy lifestyle can lead to a life we can enjoy for the most part, not just a life we endure, the aches are definitely worth it.

I once told my chiropractor that my goal is to keep moving so I can keep moving.
 As always ATTITUDE MATTERS!

Two of the activities I now enjoy, golf and yoga, I used to think were only for old people (okay I guess I do fit that category). I thought for exercise to be beneficial you had to sweat. I didn't have time for golf when I was working and raising a family and I thought yoga just moved too slowly. I realize now ANY exercise on a regular basis has its benefits. Playing golf with the girls is a great way to socialize without sitting around a table eating for hours (walk instead of riding a cart!). The same thing can be said for hiking and many other activities. 
I didn't start golfing until I was 59.
It's never too late to learn something new!


A beautiful hike on the coast.
(Both golf and hiking so often provide beautiful scenery--great for your mind as well as your body)




So, as I have said before--"It can always be worse"* . I try not to complain about the aches and pains and I promise myself to keep moving. Hey--I'm not THAT old! I believe once you slow down it's harder to get going again.

By the way moving is usually the answer:
Stiff joints? Need to move more.
Sore muscles? Need to move.
Slowing down? Move a little faster.
Stressed? Walk, move, move with music
Down in the dumps? Walk, move, DANCE
Weight an issue? Move, Move, Move, away from the table, move more than you sit.

Moving may not always be the answer, but it is often a good start or at least part of the solution.
Needless to say, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and many other medical issues can be improved, sometimes even reversed through diet and exercise/lifestyle changes and MOVING . I am not yet facing those issues or taking medications for those issues.
Weee---parasailing!
Life can truly be so much more enjoyable when you keep moving (no matter what).
Paddle boarding is so much fun!
So I might have a tweak here, or a pain there, 
(I'm sure even elite athletes have their days, 
I'll just pretend that's me) 
but I am 
MOVING and I'm HAPPY about it!!
---What about YOU?---

Choose to be HEALTHY AND HAPPY!

* "The Elephant--It Could Always Be Worse"

is the title of a very personal post (2012) you can find by clicking on the label "personal" below

#enjoyfitnesswhileaging#stayactivetoenjoylife

(This blog is a repost from 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment