Pages

Tuesday

My Personal Review of Beachbody Fitness Programs

My Personal review of Beachbody fitness programs:

One of the biggest factors to determine if you will stay with your commitment to a workout is if fits your interest and fitness level. If you are looking for a fitness program Beachbody is the place to look. There is variety here to suit everyone’s taste.

First I would like to say that what I learned about fitness years ago as a PE major is still true. That is, a well-balanced fitness program contains four elements: cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility.
You will find all four of these components as well as a very well engineered nutrition plan included with every Beachbody fitness program.


I have experienced most of the Beachbody fitness programs personally. Following is a critique only of the workouts I have done, pretty much in the order I did them, starting in my neighbor’s living room. It may give you a little insight as to what each program has to offer (remember, just my personal opinion):

P90This was the flagship program for Beachbody, the program that led the way for the well-known P90X. In P90 I was first introduced to Tony Horton’s corny lines and effective moves. (My daughter said we would be a good match because I’m kind of “cheesy” myself) It is a well-planned program to improve/provide for well-rounded fitness. Moves are easy to follow. A beginner would not be intimidated. An intermediate level would still achieve results with consistency.

Slim-in-6Debbie Siebers is beautiful and seems very sweet. This is a good entry-level workout. The moves are very easy to follow. The workouts are sneaky, though. Debbie is so sweet and because the moves are easy to follow she sneaks in a lot of repetition so you can still make progress.

Yoga Booty BalletThe name really fits. The routines in this program are cleverly designed integrating ballet moves, yoga moves and a bit of quirkiness. Focusing mainly on the lower body, abs and hips, the workouts are set in a serene background with mellow instruction. This is a very unique, still effective workout. Just as you do with yoga and ballet both, you see yourself gaining in strength and flexibility.

Turbo JamThis is a workout that let’s you get your groove on. I find music and combinations motivating. I never saw myself as a kick boxer, but you put something to music it makes a difference for me. Many of the moves are from kickboxing so it is easy to get a total workout once you get the moves down. I find myself feeling less like I am working when I have to focus on the choreography. When I am done I know I have worked though. Chalene’s energy is also awesome.

Hip Hop AbsSo my true love is dance. This was almost like dating for me. Shaun T made working out fun for me. His energy is motivating and his “tilt, tuck, tighten” does work your core without hitting the floor. My husband and I started saying “heeaay” to each other when he saw how much fun I was having. I proved to myself  I (an over-fifty white girl) could be hip! (at least in my own mind)

P90X---Never a dull moment here. This is where I learned to “Bring It” as Tony Horton says. I avoided this workout for a while because I didn’t think I was up for the challenge. I finally decided to quit being a whimp and see what it was all about. I have a Dec. 1 birthday so I began this program on my (57th!) birthday instead of starting Jan. 1 like so many  others. I developed a love-hate relationship with pushups (have never done so many in my life). I stuck with it for the full 90 days. I had to avoid or modify some workouts because of knee issues but still got a great workout! I pushed myself and never felt better. My husband started getting used to me showing off my biceps (yes, me!) to friends, and I am now embarrassed to say, even strangers after having them guess my age (they were never close).

Brazil Butt LiftInteresting how Leandro has designed a program around the shape of your booty. You can actually choose the way you use this program depending on your flat, too big, or pear shaped booty. I enjoyed the Cardio Axe, reminded me a bit of a zumba class, great Latin music. The surprise about this program was the great ab workout (“tummy tuck”) included. Great workout.

Body GospelIf you have faith you will love the workouts to uplifting gospel music. This is a one-of-a-kind concept. Donna Richardson Joyner is adorable. Real people in the workouts make it more fun, including Pastor Eddie, and a moving gospel choir. Specially made bands add to the workout. I have never seen bands that connect individually (foot to hand) so you can use them for resistance while you are walking forward and back or moving side-to-side. Singing along is a wonderful experience. (for me, that should only happen when no one is within earshot)

ChaLean ExtremeYes, muscle burns fat. This was such a great workout for me to work with weights and resistance bands. Chalene makes it very clear how to get the best benefit from lifting weights. The workouts include the burn, lean, and push phases so they vary the technique on certain days (lighter weights—more reps, heavier weights—less reps, total body with weights). I found myself enjoying working with weights for the first time. I felt myself getting stronger still. My weight didn’t change but people kept asking me if I was losing weight. I realized the changes when I went back in my closet and found things getting even looser.

Turbo FireChalene Johnson does not disappoint. Only she could deliver the workouts in this program. Her high energy carries you through. She says she saved you the best spot in class and she really makes you feel that way in this series. The HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts are fast paced, maybe you could say turbo charged, and burn fat long after the workouts are done. I have not decided on my favorite workout here yet, still loving it. It is nice, though, to have a chance to do a short workout (like HIIT 25) and know that the effect is still taking place after the workout is over. Chalene still has a great way to workout your total body in one workout; kicks, punches and core. The sculpt, tone, and stretch workouts in this program each are also wonderful.

Ohh-- I almost forgot I have also worked out with Tony Horton's (from P90X) Tony and the Kids and Shaun T's (from Hip Hop Abs and INSANITY) FIT KIDS' CLUB. I used these programs with kids at school. Both workouts are great for kids of different levelsTony's because he is such a big kid himself, and Shaun T's because he is so cool. Both have great energy and relate easily to the kids to motivate and inspire them.

Workouts I still have yet to try—

INSANITY, Insanity—the Asylum, RevAbs, Ten Minute Trainer, The new P90X2, and the exciting new Les Mills PUMP (coming Dec 2011)

A note—if you are jumping on board and choosing a program: If you are committed to health, fitness, or particularly losing weight remember exercise is just part of the equation. Your nutrition is just as important as your activity. Each program has a nutrition plan that makes sense to follow, use as a guideline to healthy eating. For a personalized meal plan, based on your goals, your weight and your activity the club membership is a very valuable tool. It provides recipes, meal plans, snack ideas, even a shopping list for the week.
Be sure and contact me if you have any questions about the workouts, nutrition plans, or any other Beachbody products. If I don’t have the answers I know where to find them.

Choose to be fit, Healthy and Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment