Pages

Monday

Have You Tried Overnight Oats?

I just HAD to try this one: Coconut-Mango
(I added blueberries)
YUM!
It has been quite a while since I have shared a recipe here, and believe me, I have tried many. With a focus on health, I am always looking for ways to make the most nutritional food taste good too. I have come across this particular recipe too many times to count and became curious. So I finally decided to give it a try and there are many reasons I think it is worth sharing.

I typically have the same easy, but very nutritious breakfast every day. It's part of a routine that keeps me pretty healthy. I make a delicious shake every morning for my husband and myself with chocolate Shakeology, peanut butter, and banana. (info at the end of this post)



I know many people skip breakfast in the morning, or they they think a cup of coffee is all they need. I can't imagine coffee in my stomach alone--all that acid eating away at my stomach lining with nothing to soak it up. And by skipping breakfast you may be setting yourself up for a slower metabolism. There's no reason for your metabolism to start working if there has been nothing to fuel the engine. If there is no fuel, gears don't turn. Your body can go into "starvation mode" and store fat for survival. Have you ever noticed that if you don't eat you don't get as hungry, but once you do eat you can't go as long until the next meal? (Your metabolism went to work)


About Oats:
Didn't our mothers feed us oatmeal as a healthy, stick-to-your-ribs breakfast as we were growing up? If you occasionally go out to breakfast, don't you always see oatmeal listed in the "healthy choice" side of a menu?
There are times when hot oatmeal is just too--hot (or too much trouble)
So I think the Overnight Oats recipe is a great solution for those that don't want to take the time to make something in the morning. Like the name implies, by morning when you wake up, it's done.

Another nice thing about this recipe is-- it is extremely easy to adapt to your dietary needs and preferences. You can come up with a huge variety of ingredients to mix with your oats.

    Lots of choices here. Change it up any way you want. Make your favorite


Since oats are the main ingredient in this recipe I did some research. Yes, it turns out, oats are very good for your health. Since the 80's the heart health benefits of Oats have been discussed. Here are a few reasons why:

Oats are a whole grain that have more protein than most grains and contain a lot of fiber. Fiber has lipid lowering benefits. Oats contain specifically a soluble fiber known as beta-glucan. 
The beta-glucan is more soluble than other grains and it has been shown to slow the absorption of fat and help reduce blood cholesterol. This was first noted in 1997 and has been proven in many studies since. This makes oats or oatmeal valuable for maintaining a healthy blood pressure, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease. 

The vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in oats are responsible for its ability to prevent oxidation of arteries. It can also bolster the immune system.
Because the carbs in oats are slow-burning, the slower digestion results in increased satiety and appetite suppression--curbing weight gain along with helping to prevent type 2 diabetes.

Looks like Mom was right all along!

Give Overnight Oats a try!
Keep it simple or make it elaborate. Use what you have on hand.
A few fun recipes are listed here, couldn't list them all.

You can search the web for more fun
recipes such as:

Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
Nutella Overnight Oats
Cafe Mocha Overnight Oats
Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats






Have fun! Share with me what YOU
like.


Choose to be Healthy and Happy!

sources:  www.authoritynutrition.com/foods/oats
               www.medicalnewstoday.com
               www.nutritionfacts.org

I do (and so does my husband) drink Shakeology every day. I credit it for initially helping me lose weight and keeping my health in check. I find it as delicious as it is nutritious, and convenient for a quick meal.
        For more information on Shakeology go to www.shakeology.com/nanciedwards

No comments:

Post a Comment